General Booking Conditions - Treks
GENERAL BOOKING CONDITIONS– TREKS ONLY
Apus Peru Adventure Travel Specialists SAC (Apus Peru) accept no responsibility whatsoever for cases of force majeure (unexpected or uncontrollable events) (according to law) or for passengers actions.
- On registering for the tour, passengers accept the General Booking Conditions and Payment Method, as well as the norms, rules and guarantees of Apus Peru described in this document.
- Apus Peru cannot absolutely guarantee participants safety. We cannot be held responsible for personal injury or for client’s belongings, equipment lost or damaged.
- Apus Peru reserves the right to cancel or change any trip due to river, road, weather conditions, or political climate. We also reserve the right to cancel any trip due to client unsuitability because of age, ill health, poor fitness, intoxication etc.
- Any missed tours due to the above listed incidences (eg weather conditions or political climate) cannot be refunded or recuperated.
- Apus Peru reserves the right to cancel the passenger’s place on a tour if they have not paid the total sum of the tour 24 hours prior to departure, UNLESS the passenger has made an alternative arrangement with APUS PERU staff.
- Apus Peru operate all their own treks but reserves the right to work with other agencies under extenuating conditions.
- In the case where damages are caused to third parties, all the expenses claimed from Apus Peru that originate from the above-mentioned incident will be charged to the client, who will have no right to later claims.
- When a passenger cancels their trip, the refund shall be according to the decision taken by APUS PERU, according to the General Booking Conditions.
- If you wish to travel on or during a special Peruvian holiday or on an election day there will be a slight increase in your trip cost. This is because people are fined in Peru if they don´t vote. So if your trek occurs during election time, we will use this increased cost to pay staff a bonus so they can pay their fines.
- CHANGE POLICY - If you wish to change the date of departure/ and or route of your trek after making the reservation/deposit, there will be a $100 per person fee to make the change, except if the change is made in the 7 days prior to the trek, when the change will cost $200 per person. Hotel nights can be added but dates cannot be changed or cancelled within 60 days of the first hotel night booked.
Changes to an Inca Trail booking (ie name or passport change) will incur $15 after booking or $50 if it occurs in the last 14 days prior to departure.
Any other changes to your file within 14 days of departure including the addition of Huayna Picchu or the change of train times will be subject to a $50US administrative fee per person in addition to any change fees charged by the provider.
Equipment additions and cancellations in the last 14 days are generally free of charge but subject to availability. There will be a penalty applied for the cancellation of large orders (4+ of an item) in the last 14 days.
- Terms of booking for treks.
- 30% non refundable deposit on booking for alternative treks.
- Full payment is required 48 hrs prior to departure –failure to do so or organise an alternative payment system can result in CANCELLATION of your trek.
- Cancellation in the 48 hours prior to departure, no refund
- If we arrive on the morning of the tour and you are ill, hungover or generally indisposed and cannot travel Apus Peru will not refund the price of your tour. Depending on the circumstances, we may try to substitute an alternative tour but this remains at the discretion of Apus Peru staff and on the situation.
12.Payment of your deposit is deemed to be CONFIRMATION that the Client has read and accepts the General Booking Conditions.
13. HEALTH AND FITNESS REQUIREMENTS
Participants must be in good health, mental and physical condition and are strongly advised to follow our pre-departure fitness training recommendations, where offered and/or necessary. Your acceptance of these booking conditions and payment of a deposit indicate you believe you are of sufficient physical & psychological condition to participate in this tour and have satisfied yourself of this through consultation with an appropriate medical professional. If you suffer from severe muscular, chest, heart or bronchial disorders, or if you are a severe asthmatic, or have high blood pressure, you are strongly advised against participating. Tours take place in remote areas where there is little or no access to normal medical services or hospital facilities for serious problems. Where necessary, evacuation can be prolonged, difficult and expensive. Medical and evacuation expenses will be the responsibility of the Client, for this reason it is recommended that you are strongly encouraged to take out appropriate travel insurance. Apus Peru reserves the right in its absolute discretion to refuse a Client the right to participate in a tour on medical or fitness grounds.
14. AGE REQUIREMENTS – apply to TREKS only
We do not accept TREKKING reservations for children under the age of 8 years old and adults over 68 years old. (for Treks) All children under 18 years old must also be accompanied by an adult. We recommend that if you are over 60 years old you should talk to your doctor well in advance about how best to plan for the trek and also to ensure that your travel insurance covers such adventure activities. We also insist that clients over 60 years old arrive in Cusco at least 3 days prior to starting the trek (rather than the usual 2 days). For trekkers over 63 years old we also ask you to bring a letter from your doctor confirming that you are fit to participate in the trek. Unfortunately if you fail to bring a letter from your doctor we reserve the right to cancel your trek and your trek deposit cannot be returned.
15. MEDICAL DISCLOSURE
People with heart conditions, knee problems, severe asthma or are more than 18 weeks pregnant should not participate in TREKS. People with mild asthma / diabetes / pregnant less than 18 weeks will have to bring a medical letter from their doctor stating that they are fit to undertake the trek. They will also be required to be accompanied by a trekking companion on the trek at all times who will trek at their sides and be familiar with any medicines required in case of an emergency.
Your payment of a deposit is declaration that:
- you are in good health and mental and physical fitness at the time of booking this tour;
you have disclosed to Apus Peru every matter concerning your health and mental and physical fitness of which you are aware, or ought reasonably be expected to know, that is relevant to Apus Peru’s decision to permit you to go on the tour;
- upon any adverse change in your health or fitness that may be likely to affect Apus Peru’s decision to accept the risk of permitting you to go on the tour, you will IMMEDIATELY notify Apus Peru in writing of any such adverse change.
You acknowledge that the obligation to disclose under this condition continues from the time of booking the tour through to departure and extends for the duration of the tour. If you fail to comply with the duty of disclosure in this condition and if Apus Peru would not have permitted you to undertake the tour, or continue participation of the tour, had you made full disclosure under this condition, Apus Peru will not be liable, for personal injury, death or property damage or loss incurred by you.
16. TRAVEL INSURANCE
We strongly recommend that you have your own travel insurance, including repatriation services prior to booking one of our treks or tours. Please see cancellation policy above. If you are unable to travel and have travel insurance then these deposits should be covered. (you need to check your policy) Passengers have responsibility to ensure that their travel or medical insurance policy covers the activity in which they are participating. Please note that the non refundable deposit should be able to be recuperated through a travel insurance claim in the case of accident or illness. Repatriation insurance will insure that you are able to fly home in the event that you need emergency medical treatment in your home country and may provide you with a medical practitioner for the flight or required medical equipment. For more information about travel insurance (and how it differs from medical insurance) please see our FAQs page.
17. IF YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT
If the Client has a complaint about any of the tour arrangements the Client must bring it to the attention of the tour leader or other representative of Apus Peru at the time so that they may use their best endeavours to rectify the situation. It is only if Apus Peru is made aware of any problems that there will be the opportunity to put things right. Failure to complain on the spot will result in the Client’s ability to claim compensation from Apus Peru being extinguished or at least reduced. Should the problem remain unsolved a complaint must be made in writing to Apus Peru within 10 days of the completion of the tour or all claims for compensation will be forfeit.
18. RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY
In consideration of Apus Peru accepting your booking application and in consideration of you being permitted by Apus Peru to join the tour:
- you release Apus Peru and its officers, employees, agents, licensees, guides and other representatives and the land management authorities in the countries in which the tour is conducted (each of whom are collectively referred to as “Apus Peru and its employees”) from all cost, liability, loss or damage incurred or suffered by you directly or indirectly during the course of the tour and resulting from your personal injury, illness or death or damage to or loss of your property unless caused by the wilful negligence or wrongful act of Apus Peru and its employees; and
- you waive any claims you have, or may at any time have, against Apus Peru and its employees and you agree, by accepting the additional inherent dangers and risks associated with the tour, not to make any claim against or seek any compensation from Apus Peru and its employees in respect of any personal injury, illness or death suffered by you or damage to or loss of property sustained by you as a result of your participation in the tour.
19. PHOTO APPEARANCE RELEASE: You hereby consent and grant permission for Apus Peru and/or those who have the written consent of the Apus Peru, to use photos or videos of yourself for the purposes of promoting future Apus Peru programs. We expressly release the Apus Peru, its agents, employees, licensees, and assigns from any and all claims which We have or may have for invasion of privacy, defamation, and any other cause of action arising out of the use of these photographs and video images. If you would not like your image used on our promotional material, please advise us at the time of booking.
19. EXCHANGE RATE. We revise our trek prices quarterly if there is a substantial change. Although our trek prices are listed in US dollars to facilitate payment by credit card and Paypal, the majority of our expenses are in Peruvian Soles (trek permits, wages, food, taxes). Apus Peru will absorb any change in costs up to USD 15 due to a variance in exchange rates based on Peru’s recognized exchange rate which can be found at www.sunat.gob.pe however the client will be asked to pay a surcharge based on a greater increase in price. Exchange rates can go both up and down so if the value of the US dollar increases against the Peruvian Sol we will refund you accordingly using the same starting point of USD 15. Apus Peru will show calculations to clearly explain the difference in cost when applicable.
20. HIRE OF EQUIPMENT – if you hire equipment from Apus Peru, you are responsible for this equipment for the entire length of the tour and you agree to pay repair/ replacement costs if broken or lost.
I acknowledge that this is an adventure tour and that there are risks involved. I have read, understood and accept the General Booking Conditions of Apus Peru, including the conditions regarding refunds.
21.HOLIDAY SURCHARGE We pay a surcharge to their field staff (guides, cooks & muleteers) if their work takes them away from home on the following holidays.
- Noche Buena (24 December) & Christmas (25 December)
- New Years Day (1 January)
- Holy Thursday & Good Friday at Easter.
- Fiestas Patrias (28 July) .
The amount for each day extra is $80 per holiday, divided by the number of people in the group.