Trekkers Wanted Style (Standard - Shared Service)
As a new, fresh company on the Cusco trekking scene, Apus Peru has quickly established itself as offering a high class trekking standard, with an environmental and social consciousness unique in Cusco.
Excellent guides, delicious food, alternative, custom designed treks and departures any day with two people mean that you can get off the beaten track and enjoy Apus Peru's well known service on the off the beaten track trekking route that you want to do. The advantage of this service is enjoying solitude on your trek and being able to walk at your own pace. This is a good option for groups of friends who want to share a great adventure together! This service can be upgraded in various different ways, including Aguas Calientes Upgrades.
Apus Peru pioneered the Trekkers Wanted concept in the Cusco region - and it has been very successful in creating groups of like minded travellers and trekkers on our little known treks.
The only difference between the Apus Peru Trek Style (Private Service) and the Trekkers Wanted (Shared Service) is that with the Private Service it is only you and the people that you choose to be on the trek. The Trekkers Wanted service means that you say, "Yes I want to trek with other people." We list your trek on our Trekkers Wanted page and you pay the price according to the final number of trekkers.
This means that you have the benefit of opening a trek on the day you want to travel - but having the possibility of others joining you. If you are the person that opens (creates) the departure, you can select Aguas Calientes Upgrade, the options (Llactapata, Colcamayu or Cola de Mono) on various treks, or simply a Vistadome upgrade.
We also ask you to fill out a Description on your booking form so that we can list it on the Trekkers wanted page. As this is a group service you cannot specify who you would like to join the trek.
SINGLE TRAVELLERS. If you are travelling alone and join a Trekkers Wanted group please fill out our Passenger details form “Sharing with” column with “Find me a roommate”. We will only pair same – sex travelers, either in tents or in hotels. In the case that we are unable to find you a ‘roommate’ you will be charged a single supplement for the trail ($25 for the whole trek) and $15 per person for the hotel in Aguas Calientes (or as applicable in Upgrade tours.)
To see a list of currently departing groups see Trekkers Wanted.
• Pre Trek Briefing - normally held at 5pm two days before your Trek Departure, at our office.
• Collection from your hotel in the morning of trek departure.
• Private transport from Cusco to the trailhead at the beginning of the trek, in a comfortable tourist class van and with a safe, professional driver.
• Private transport from the end of the trek to Cusco (dropped off at your hotel), in a comfortable tourist class van and with a safe, professional driver.
• Entry fees - in remote areas like Ausangate and Lares there are small entry fees levied by local authorities.
• English/Quechua/Spanish speaking professional guide (you will have an assistant guide for groups over 8 people).Groups may consist of English and Spanish speakers in which case the guide will present the tours in both languages.
• Tents - 2 people in a 4 person tent which allows for greater comfort, and also storage of backpacks. .
• Basic foam mattress. If you require greater comfort during the trek we can hire you an inflatable mattress (eg. Thermarest)
• Cook and Cooking equipment (Assistants are provided for larger groups)
• Toilet tent
• Meals as indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food). Our professional cooks prepare meals that incorporate elements of the western diet and also traditional Peruvian delicacies. (Please communicate with your guide/cook during the trek if you have a preference for certain types of dishes). Salads, if served, are washed in boiled water. We are increasingly incorporating fresh, organic produce in our menus. (This is not possible on all routes, but is our intention to use Organic produce where we can)
• Horses (for equipment and personal items) including horsemen. They carry camping equipment, food and kitchen utensils. We provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items (up to 7 kg/15lbs per person). Your sleeping bag needs to be included in the personal items weight.
• 1 emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or if are a little slower
• Dining tent with camp tables and chairs & Kitchen tent for the cook to prepare meals
• Tents for our staff to sleep in, sleeping bags & mattresses plus a budget for their meals.
• First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle - but not blister treatments as known in western countries.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
• Breakfast on the first morning.
• Sleeping bags. If you haven't got a sleeping bag or you don't want the hassle of bringing one all the way to Peru with you, then we have sleeping bags for hire.For this trek you should hire minus 15 or warmer bags.
• Tips for the guide, cook and porters
• Additional horses for passengers luggage.
Treks that visit Machu Picchu or the Hydroelectric area
- Entry fee to Machu Picchu (If you wish to climb Huayna Picchu its $15 extra, please advise at booking)
- Bus up and down from Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
- Train ticket (Expedition service) from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Your guide travels on the same train as you
- Private transport from Ollantaytambo to Cusco in a comfortable tourist class van and with a safe, professional driver.
- Celebratory dinner in Aguas Calientes
- Lunch on the last day is included in this itinerary.
- 1 night accommodation in Aguas Calientes in a basic hotel. This will be a nice, clean and safe hostel with breakfast included and private bathroom. If you wish to upgrade from this hotel, please check out the options listed on our Aguas Calientes accommodation page.
In the case of Lares, Ancascocha or treks that have the Machu Picchu Trek Extension
- The train TO Aguas Calientes is of Vistadome or equivalent category (Inca Rail has Executive Service)
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT HOW TREKKERS WANTED GROUPS OPERATE.
If you are the person that opens (creates) the departure, you can select Aguas Calientes Upgrade, the options (Llactapata, Colcamayu or Cola de Mono) on various treks, or simply a Vistadome upgrade. You should specify what you want at the time of booking so we can list your selections and that the other people joining know that
1. Should they wish to have a trek with no upgrades, the guide will eat at the Upgrade restaurant
2. Should they wish to return on Expedition train, they will need to pay for a separate transfer from Ollantaytambo/ Poroy back to Cusco. The price for this transfer is $80 per car for Ollantaytambo to Cusco, or $30 per car from Poroy to Cusco. Alternatively, you can choose to end your tour at the Ollantaytambo or Poroy train stations and organise your own transport back to Cusco.
3. If you join a trek that has no Upgrades, but you would like to either select the Aguas Calientes Upgrade or a Vistadome upgrade then you will need to pay or a separate transfer from Ollantaytambo/ Poroy back to Cusco. The price for this transfer is $80 per car for Ollantaytambo to Cusco, or $30 per car from Poroy to Cusco. Alternatively, you can choose to end your tour at the Ollantaytambo or Poroy train stations and organise your own transport back to Cusco.
Aguas Calientes upgrade package (optional) This is an upgrade package for treks that already include a nights stay in a hotel in Aguas Calientes, but you would like to upgrade the standard of hotel, meals and train service. This price doesn’t change depending on the number of people in the group.
Prices - Standard Aguas Calientes Upgrade - $140
Comfort Plus Aguas Calientes Upgrade - $180
** The difference between the Standard option, and the Comfort Plus option, is the standard of the hotel.
- Standard Option includes - a night 3 star hotel, like La Cabaña (standard), Inti Inn (standard), Gringo Bills (Jnr Suite), Rupa Wasi (Suite). These are a nice hotels, with a little more character tha the average Aguas Calientes Hotel - well decorated, and clean.
- Comfort Plus Option includes - a night in higher price range 3 star hotel, like El Mapi or Taypikala. Both are new hotels with careful attention to detail.
Both packages include the same meals and trains.
- Dinner at one of Aguas Calientes “best” restaurants, like Indio Feliz or Tree House restaurant.
- Buffet lunch at Tinkuy Restaurant, located in the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge.
- With limited eating choices at Machu Picchu hunger tends to send clients to Aguas Calientes; by including the buffet lunch we find that clients can visit Machu Picchu early, then go to the buffet to try lots of different Peruvian (and Western) dishes, and then rest and go back for a second look at Machu Picchu.
- Return in Vistadome train rather than Expedition train, which gives you the opportunity for a more varied timetable and to return in a nicer train, with big windows in the roof.
- For a full list see Genral Booking condtiions
- Minimum 1 passenger, Maxium 12 passengers
- BOOKINGS CLOSE 7 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE but we prefer bookings in Advance in order to provide you with the best possible service.
Why Book in Advance?
Apus Peru carefully matches the best guides with each trek and group. We also do our best to provide our staff with their schedule in advance allowing them to plan other activities in their lives, perhaps additional courses that they are taking or for many of our porters and muleteers, the sewing and harvesting of their fields. Booking in advance (3-6 months before your trek) also ensures the quality of your service. As we do provide our guides and support staff with their schedule in advance they are then free to schedule their time as they like. As you can appreciate, if you book your service only a few weeks in advance we cannot guarantee that you will be trekking with one of our principal guides although Apus Peru will always provide you with an experienced, English/Spanish speaking guide. If you book later than 3 weeks prior to the trek, especially in high or shoulder seasons (April through October) we can find it hard to find you seats on our preferred trains or in our favourite hotels.